Skip to main content

Kombucha, my heavens!

Kombucha, kombucha - a story for my SF roomies and their kombucha
On the way back from Pondicherry we stopped in Auroville. It was a town started by Mother and Sri Aurobindo in 1968 with the hope to realize human unity. The idea was that it is a nation for all nations where people would come toghether to work, learn and teach. Sounds nice. Anyone want to go stay for a couple weeks and let me know how it is?


We arrived too late to see the golden sphere, Matrimandir, at the center of the town, but got to indulge in organic food! I was in heaven. Smoked tofu salad - oh my! I thought it was a side salad. That it was not. It was a main plate full of lettuce and tofu. Suzie got a tomato salad that was about 5 bright red, tasty tomatoes piled high.


We couldn't finish all the food, but I couldn't bear for it to even be composted so scrounged up the plastic that they tomatoes came in and a paper bag to take the tomatoes and wheat bread.


There was also a shop where I stocked up on peanut butter, vegan cookies, organic shampoo..... the list goes on and I understood how Auroville supports itself. The best surprise was kombucha!!!!!! Made me think of my roomies in SF and the large bottles of homebrew.
Here is a picture of Paula with the kombucha headed for fermentation with sweetened tea and the paddy Bacterium xylinum and yeast cultures.

Later at the airport we were in waiting in the restaurant. We confused the staff of 10 who all waited on us because there were only 1-2 other parties in there. Mahin ordered 2 soups, I ordered just a fresh lime soda, and Suzie and Liz shared a stuffed parantha. I pulled out the tomatoes and bread. The waiter came over and asked, 'Is this food from your country?" I thought he meant that I'd brought it off the plane.
When we went to go through security, my bags got stopped. "Wine, wine," the guards proclaimed, pointing at the kombucha bottles. 'No, not wine... Kombucha," I explained to the blank stares. Learned that it was not allowed to take in liquids - I suppose I could of guessed. So then I was stuck because I didn't have a bag that zipped or closed up. I was told I could have a box, but was denied by the check-in counter and the scanners. About the same time I realized that one was leaking, so it needed drinking. I got a lot of stares as I wandered around looking for paper while chugging kombucha from a bottle that was seemingly a wine bottle to the average Joe.
To deal with the other bottle, I asked a guy sitting next to a 2 foot tall pile of paper for a foot stack and he gave me about 10 pieces. Between that and some newspaper on a chair, it got all wrapped and taped. The baggage handler was very nice and carried it rather than dumping it onto the conveyer belt. So I crossed my fingers, continued to chug and ran towards the security gate to avoid missing the flight.
The efforts paid off. The kombucha arrived safely!

Comments

raj said…
Hi, can you help me get this Kombucha (manchurian mushroom)! I will appreciate your response at ranbir14@gmail.com.
Unknown said…
Hi, can you help me get this Kombucha (manchurian mushroom)! I will appreciate your response at naman.sapra.014@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Li meet brunch, brunch meet Li

Durand and I introduced Li to our weekly ritual. While we mix up the venue, brunch is a Sunday past time, involving plates of food and wine or martinis (Piazzo). This week we went to a new one, West View, at the Sheraton. It was up on the roof and what a view. Slightly scary, because you could really see the smog, but nice to be able to look out over a large green area and other parts of Delhi. The help yourself part was small: cheese, cold cuts, olives, salads. Then came the ordering of 4 courses. I had beet gazpacho, some marinated vege thing, chili prawns, and then shared tiramisu and chocolate mousse with Li for dessert. Oh and lots of champagne, plus a glass of white wine for kicks. The red was bad. After we headed to the 'Foot Care' massage center for Shiatsu. The massages are decent. Deep, but almost pecking in nature because not enough time is spent. If they slowed down, I'd be very happy. We checked went looking for 'Gandhi' the movie, but they didn't h

Mumbai: Sasson docks and colonial architecture

One of my favorite parts of Mumbai are the Gothic Victorian style buildings that abound the southern part. The Lonely Planet has a walking tour, which we followed part of and it can be combined with a trip to Sasson docks, a bustling fishing port, and Marine drive. To finish off, climb up the intercontinental hotel for a view of Marine drive at night when the Queen's necklace is all lit up. Southern part of Marine drive  There was so much happening at the Sassoon docks: boats being loaded with ice or unloaded of fish, fish being sorted, haircuts, games, children coming from school, and ice being crushed. It was cool to be in the midst of the hustle and bustle. Ice being crushed Loading ice onto the fishing boats Taking a pause from loading ice onto the boat Getting a haircut on the docks Fixing the fishing nets Squid being tossed off the boat Lady strikes a pose Lunch time on the fishing boat Love the brightly colored trucks

Taj Mahal - the one and only

The next weekend Suzie and I visited the Agra, the city where the Taj Mahal is located. It was really enchanting. We took the train there, which was great! Faster than driving and so easy. We treated ourselves to massages, this time not so invasive, and a nice hotel, never been so extravagant. It rained like crazy on Saturday and Suzie was sick, so we stayed in the hotel, which was great. Otherwise, I would have felt compelled to go out and wander around. I was so nice to relax. We watched 2 Bollywood films too! Dewall and Brick. Both films with Mr. Big B, a famous Indian actor whose real name is Amitabh Bachchan. Dewall was one of his early films in which he looses his father and ends up making money with good intentions, but through bad means. Black is more recent and his acting has matured significantly. The first bit felt like I was rewatching the story of Helen Keller, but eventually it changed and a new story was developed. On Sunday, we went out and saw the Taj Mahal. It was rea